Tuesday, October 10, 2023

A.I.'s Displacement of Human Jobs

A.I. and Job Loss

The thought of artificial intelligence was scary. With several movies about robots attacking humans or taking over the earth, most famously "The Terminator" franchise, it would be hard to be unafraid of A.I. before it became what it is today. With a variety of different forms of A.I. it's not hard to imagine the previously futuristic, super advanced A.I. being in our world today, though its nowhere close to being able to really displace humans. With the rise of A.I. comes a series of issues that people become aware and afraid of. The most pressing issue is that of jobs. A.I is coming whether we like it or not, Kai-Fu Lee believes that "about 50% of jobs will be somewhat or extremely threatened by A.I. in the next 15 years or so" as he admits in an interview. The video "In the Age of AI" Kai-Fu goes on to explain that jobs that are a pure quantitative analytical process will be easier to take than those that require hand-eye coordination and have other obstacles that robots and A.I. are just not capable of yet, but all jobs will be in danger of being taken eventually. 

Kai-Fu's response to this repetition of a "job destruction" wave intrigued me. He said that when going through history he thinks that it's only trustable if it is multiple repetitions of similar events, not a once-in-a-blue-moon occurrence. He goes on to say that there are only about three events that are on the same scale as this A.I. revolutions: the steam engine, electricity, and the computer revolution. I thought it interesting that with how many innovations that were made through our history, only those three are as big as the current revolution happening now. All the other events were "too small" to compare to the age of A.I. in the grand scale of our history. 

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dZ_lvDgevk&ab_channel=FRONTLINEPBS%7COfficial 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Relationship with Technology ~ Final Blog Post

Technology is a subject that has slowly become fully integrated  within my life. It wasn't something I had a particular interest in (whe...